RE: virus: Re:A Diversion

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 05:08:38 MDT

    Mermaid
    Sent: 22 May 2004 11:53 AM

    blunderov, I remember one of dawkins' essays from devil's chaplin where he
    bemoans the current state of parental affairs where parents force their
    religious views and dogmas onto their kids...while his concern is valid, if
    you really think about it...isnt that why parents have kids in the first
    place...to create miniature versions of themselves in order to pursue the
    immortality of their genes and memes...dawkins(author of selfish gene
    even!), of all people..should be able to see why something that seems unfair
    and cruel to him is absolutely logical from the 'other side'..or rather in
    the grand scheme of things...is it fair to expect compulsary 'rational'(aka
    secular/heathen in certain circles) education ..isnt it the equivalent of a
    religious majority saying that religious education must be made compulsary
    for all and if they dont want to be saved anyways, its their funeral...will
    that ever happen? not likely..how can 'rational' education be expected..in
    britain recently, '!
    atheism' is going to be made part of 'religious studies'...if it werent so
    hilarious, it would be fucking pathetic...'atheism as part of religious
    studies'..get it?

    it seems to me that the only way is to create more 'rational' clones...smart
    people reproducing at a faster rate than the spawning rate of the
    idiots...that and do something about medicine keeping all the weaklings
    alive...drastically affecting the chances of the human species evolving or
    creating another 'daughter species'...trust me...i have given this much
    thought...since i officially turned into a middle aged woman with a ticking
    biological clock, i had given myself one year to rationally justify the
    decision not to procreate..except for my hedonism and utterly graceless
    manner of living..not to mention the incessant swearing...there is no reason
    why i cant procreate...fortunately or unfortunately, i am too lazy to change
    diapers...baby farms or birthing pods....whats your pick?

    ----
    [Blunderov] True, to many people rational thought is a threat, especially
    those with strong religious sensibilities. These people would IMV be
    perfectly entitled to create schools of their own to cater to their
    convictions. But I don't believe they can reasonably expect a secular state
    to connive with them in this regard.
    To teach people to reason is not synonymous with teaching them to be
    atheists, as is all too sadly evident. The more I think about it, the more I
    wonder whether there can be any higher goal than teaching people how to make
    sense of their lives; higher even than literacy or numeracy. I admit this
    sounds a lot like a religion itself.
    With regard to parenthood I have to say that, on the whole, I recommend it.
    When my first daughter was born the world became a different place, one that
    had acquired a new and joyful meaning. Parenthood is a very visceral
    experience.
    Of course there are no free lunches; teenagers can be unspeakable - I know,
    I was one.
    To me, to make a gift of life is to make a gift of the universe. It seems to
    me that it would be ungenerous not to pass it on.*
    Best Regards
    *Within reason :)