RE: virus: War & Peace / Rethinking Iraq

From: Jei (jei@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 13:56:04 MDT

    On Thu, 6 May 2004, Jonathan Davis wrote:

    > Have anything on Islamist methods of torture? I thought you might have some
    > of those video clips of people being set alight, having their arms pulled
    > off my jeeps, their testicles cut off or throats cut?

    Personally I leave them for Americans to put out and point to them.
    They do a pretty good job of it too, whereas their own abuses tend to
    be covered up.

    > Given that the US army dished out less violence to those Iraqis than was
    > typically dished out to army recruits (before hazing was banned), I think
    > they got off lightly.
    >
    > Using words like "Torture" and "Abhorrent" is a bit strong. What words do we
    > have left for things like Daniel Perle being sliced open on tape? Are people
    > seriously suggesting there is some equivalence between this ultra-rare
    > conduct of rogue soldiers and what is routine in the Islamic world (torture
    > and murder of prisoners)?
    >
    > Oh ye innocents.

    Yup. But luckily the American Human Rights organizations get plenty of
    funding and resources from their government to point out those abuses,
    and they get PLEEENTY of media coverage too right when they want it.

    The fact is this torture thing has been going on for ages, and keeps going
    on around the world. The only way to fight it is to bring it out to light
    and put it in front of people's noses.