virus: Appeal for consistency

From: Jonathan Davis (jonathan@limbicnutrition.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 04:16:04 MDT

    Dear Fellows,

    I have noticed that we seem to be somewhat selectively applying our
    Virian virtues. I am as guilty of this as anyone. So what follows is
    from the perspective of notorious sinner, not an auto-hagified(?) saint:

    We espouse reason, yet I notice we are prone both appeal and succumb to
    the lure of authority, prejudice and personal attack. We need to learn
    to communicate better*. Some topics might be suited to a debating format
    (limited size responses) or perhaps adjudication. Personal attacks can
    be funny hence fun, and can deliver some truths, but we need to make
    sure that they are reserved for arenas where your opponent agrees to
    allow them (i.e. Only punch people in the ring). Forceful opinions and
    powerful hatreds ("loathing") ought to be tempered, or if one must vent,
    remember to be empathetic, rational and macroscopic. Hatreds and other
    strong emotions tend to abate in the company of empathy, reason and
    vision. Don't just quote them, use them.

    We espouse Vision, yet sometimes we are overly focused on ourselves
    (navel gazing) and the trivia of the day. Many of us will regret the
    wasted hours devoted to splitting hairs and arguing the toss. Lets raise
    our game a bit folks.

    We tout empathy, yet I frequently see it kept for allies or pitied
    enemies (like Islamists). When it comes to real hated groups like
    Christians or conservatives, or even fellows who find themselves in
    agreement (part or whole) with members of such groups, it is absent.
    This is the real UTist threat: The Us of an "enlightened" CoV led by a
    self appointed "Agent of Change" versus the them of "benighted"
    conservatives, Bush apologists, Christians, Jews and whomever else
    disagrees with US**

    Finally, let me say that measured against an ideal, anything will be
    found wanting. Benchmarked against other communities, the CoV is a truly
    magnificent collection of fine fellows. It is a delight to be a part of
    this and I am grateful to all of you for your help, instruction and
    effort.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan

    * For some good booms on improving communication see:
    http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=57;action=display;threadid=
    29376

    ** By default that is, when dealing with prejudice one's pre-designation
    (black, conservative, Jew) damns you before you even open your mouth or
    state your case.