virus: Trust versus Faith

From: Erik Aronesty (erik@zoneedit.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 10:21:52 MST

    OK, I've been doing a lot of work in this area since this discussion started.

    I encourage you to "try on" these definitions in your reading and in your life to see if/how they work.

    I know that they are not the "ultimate" definitions, nor are they the "only" definitons. However, they are powerful and effective ways of thinking about the issues of trust and faith.

    A strong distinction between trust and faith brings clarity and simplicity into Virian thinking.

    Trust:

    1. "a rational expectation of a particular result or behavior based on prior experience" as in "he can be trusted to arrive on time"

    2. "a reasoned expectation of honesty and overall good behavior, based on prior interaction" as in "I trust him like a brother"

    Trust without a basis in experience, logic or reason is Faith.

    A Virian might be cautious not to confuse these two terms and remain present to this power that this distinction offers.

    Faith:

    1. "an expectation of an outcome based on expedience or necessity, rather than experience" as in "I had no time to test the program, so I had to run it on faith"

    2. "an unreasonable or illogical expectation of an outcome intended to inspire others in that outcome and produce results" as in, "Ghandi had faith in a free India"

    Faith, defined in this way, is clearly useful in specific circumstances.

    A Virian who is understanding in these uses of trust and faith can employ them as tools in appropriate situations.

    NOTE: These memetic distinctions are crafted so as to empower the person who uses them in their life. They are not intended as "truth" or to be "dictionary correct" definitions.